Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mrs. Wezley Espinoza???

Yes, thats right, I am now engaged! yes thank you, I take all of your congrats with a bow... only thing is, it was kinda by accident! Its one of those things that tends to happen to me, just to make me feel foolish. This is what happened...

I got back to the house this evening and ate supper, and I had a question I wanted to ask Pastor Mtenzi. He is a man from Tanzania who is here with the mission. He and his wife Jenny are always making fun of Keith and me about us not having a wife yet, so I go up to him and tell him that I think that I may have accidently proposed to a girl at the river, he and Keith find this funny thinking that I'm just joking, oh how wrong they were :p! So I've been painting this HUGE wooden boat on the river that we are going to use to visit the small villages that we cant get to by road. I go there by myself and stay there all day by myself which has proven to be a bit hard considering that I don't know any of their languages! but thats not the point. All day there are large groups of people gathered around me because 1) most of them have never seen a Wazungu (a white man) and 2) if they have seen one they have never seen one work. so needless to say I'm rather popular for once in my life! Well today as with yesterday there were many watotos (children) gathered around me making fun of me; asking me for food and money; and trying to help me paint so I would have to pay them (cuz' natrualy all white guys are SUPER rich!) It was actually really funny, there was this one young man who came to me yesterday who actually spoke some english, he came to me and made small talk, then he got to the point, "Mr. I'm hungry, give me some money," I wasn't angry by no means... I was board out of my mind though so I thought i would have some fun " why do you think I have any money?" I asked him, to which he simply responded "your bag is full of money!" the funny thing was he said it like it was the most obvious truth in the world. of course the white man just walks around with a big bag of cash, duh! you mean you didnt know that??? so I handed him my bag and told him to look through it and whatever money he finds is his! well his eyes just lit up like you wouldnt believe! he quickly searches through my bag and is utterly disappointed to find that there is no money in it. I ask him what made him think that I had money? he just looks at me and so I tell him "you guys are all so funny, you see my skin and you think muzungu = money! not all white men are rich," then I told him if he comes to the states that I'll give money because then I would have some... hope he never takes me up on the offer... anyway, back to the misses. so today there was this girl who came who knew a few english words and was testing them out on me, so after a while of kinda talking to her I got into my bag and showed her a English-French dictionary that I had (note the "had") when I handed it to her so she could look at it she seemed very happy, and she was looking at it very intentively, I thought it was kinda odd but thought nothing about it. Well, a few minutes later there suddenly appeared a whole bunch of middle aged ladies! they gathered around me and started doing what I assume was there idea of a "cat call" and came all smiling and shaking my hand telling me that they would cook for me and would clean my house and this and that, a few of them grabbed my and and tried walking away with me. well I started to suspect that I made a mistake at this point... also the girl was staying real close to me. I started thinking about it and I reasoned "come on Wezley, you just showed her a dictionary, they can't POSSIBLY think anything of it!" then it happened... the dad came! I had met him before but he was rather uninterested in me for the most part, but oh boy how that had changed now! he started asking me all kinds of questions about myself like making sure that I was going to be in the Congo for a long time, what I did in America, how old I was among many other things that I can't remember at the moment. But yes after about 10 minutes of this he seemed satisfied that the fact that I was American was good enough for him, since nothing else could have seemed all that impressive! So he leaves, shortly after the girl leaves after telling me good bye (not giving me my book back and taking it as a gift) after I got done with the story Pastor Mtenzi starts to laugh! he says "Bwana Wezley (thats Mr Wezley) congratulations! your engaged to an African girl." Oh dear oh dear oh dear. so basically when I go back tomorrow I'm praying that she dosnt come to see me and just takes the intentional "gift" as a memento.

Anyway on other news, our Lay-training is ending this Friday and our first Prophecy seminar is starting this Sabbath evening. so keep that in prayers. I taught some for the classes through a translator which was a lot of fun and a huge learning experience for me. well will sign off for now since its time to go home. God bless and pray I don't get back to the states with a little misses!
-Wezley

7 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

I always suspected it would happen like this...

At least send e-invitations, I'd like to be there. Blessings in this new phase of life!

March 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Wezley said...

Haha, yes Brandon, you'll get an e-invitation.... Ha, for that matter you can even be the groom if you want! lol I never saw it in my future to marry an African tribal girl :p

March 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM  
Blogger Olivia Leigh Photography said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 24, 2008 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Olivia Leigh Photography said...

Wow, Wezley. I know you like to do things in a unique way, but isn't this taking it a little too far? Lol. Can't wait to hear the sequel to that post!!

~Liv

March 24, 2008 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger Josiah said...

And people always accuse ME of being desperate!!!! sheesh.........

March 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

Wow Wezley! Long time no see! I just found your blog and was very excited to hear that you are engaged! So, did you bring her back to America?? I'm actually in Thailand right now, but when I come back I want to meet her. :D Lol, your backpack is still in America. What are you planning on doing now? What's happening with your crazy life? Well, God bless you. I'll talk to you later. Keep in touch.

August 31, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Spokane tim jones said...

Congrats, hahaha. African girl, well not bad. Wish to see your pics..

August 30, 2012 at 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home