Thursday, April 9, 2009

Can one man make a differance?

This is what kept going through my head one day as I was sitting with a group of Canadians talking, trying to understand what the meaning of their odd grunts of "eh" was. "This is to much for me to change" I again thought while driving down the road needing to go in the other direction, yet... not being able to do a legal "U" turn here in Canada. And then, the point that comes in everyone's life, the point that separates the boys from the men. i kept quoting and re-quoting 1 Cor 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." It all started like this.

I was going shopping for the first time with my friend Diana (the other bible worker) and we were heading inside of the store, so I turned to her and our conversation went something like this

Me: "should I run a pick up a shopping cart?"

Her: "no, we don't have any change for it"

Me: "huh?"

Her: "You have to rent the carts here"

Me: "WHAT???"

Her: "yeah, it motivates people to not steal them"

Me: "WHAT????"

Her: "......."

Me: "that's absolutely barbaric! I thought that Canada was a free country, one of the wealthiest in the world... yet they can't manage to splurge on free use of shopping carts?"

Her: "........"

Me: "your telling me you don't have an issue with this?!"

Her: "umm... no"

So I sigh for this poor girl who has been living in this primitive state for most of her life, and hope that one day it will change for the poor peoplevof Canada, thinking "one day, ah yes, one day my Canadian brothers and sisters" If that would have been the end of the story it probably wouldn't have caused the shift in my paradigm. But alas, this is it. We finished all of our shopping and were going to the check out line, Diana exclaims with fear in her eyes "oh no! I forgot the bags!" I was thinking "boy, good for her, trying to go green." We get to the check out line and it happens... the women snarls at us diabolically "DO...YOU...HAVE....BAAAAGSSS?" I see everyone in site cringe in fright. "n...no" and then the most absurd words I have ever heard came out of the womens mouth. "then you must buy our cheap flimsy plastic bags that will fall appart on you by the time you get home BWAHAHAHAHAHA!" (oh... did I mention that i had to also bag my stuff myself???) I started to argue.
Me: "excuse me? did you say we have to by the bags?"
Her: "yes! (think the soup Nazi, if you have seen Seinfeld")
Me: "umm... do I even get to choose paper or plastic?"
Her: "NOOOOO!!! you get plastic"

This went on for a bit and I ended up giving up the argument, a whole country against one enlightened American, what could I do? "The country is to primitive" I thought, there are to many things wrong here, Taco bell is almost 3 time the price here. Pedestrians can just walk out and cross the street and If I hit them its my fault for them walking in front of a moving vehicle! the list goes on and on. But I woke up this morning and I reading through the book of Joshua and all the great things he did, I have decided something important! "YES I CAN! one man can make a difference! I will show these poor deprived Canadians the American way, free them of this bondage of ape like living, YES I CAN! And so can you! I am encuraging all people from the states who are living in Canada not to conform to the Canadian way, don't say "zed" be proud and say "Z". Do U turns whenever there is not a sign says otherwise, and yes fight for free bags!!!! YES WE CAN!


Disclaimer: some parts of this story may or may not have been largely exaggerated for emphases.




Disclaimer #2: the use of this video in no way supports my political veiws.... since I don't have any, it was just a fitting video for my post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home